Monday, February 18, 2008

Ode to a Pussy Cat(s), p.1: For he will do as he do do

and there's no doing anything abou-ow-ow-ow-out it!

Inspired by The Freep vol. 1/issue 18 and of course he himself, this post is going to be about my number one jellicle cat.

Given name: Lucifer
Eliot's analog: The Rum Tum Tugger
Ineffable name: ?????

Lucifer first lived with me on Grand Blvd in Boone. At that home, he was keen on climbing the screen, the tapestry hung on the wall, or really anything into which he could dig his nails. A wild one, he was! As he grew older and found his way around outside, he would bring me little presents like birds, moles, chipmunks, and even a squirrel once!

This past summer we moved to Carrboro and I think Lucifer really loved the new apartment (building D). There were many sunny spots to lounge in and he had a whole parking lot of cars to sit on! He liked it so much there that he didn't even mind all the other cats that terrorized him. --They didn't actually terrorize him, it's just that Lucifer is afraid of just about everything. Dogs, cats, children, adults, bugs, vacuums, cars, loud noises... Not that he shouldn't be afraid of some of those things, but he's a serious scaredy cat!--

But what I think Lucifer liked the most about building D was our sweet next door neighbor. She also owned a cat (who stayed inside), but every morning she put out some wet food for the various wandering cats of the building. There were about 3 tomcats who we didn't think had any real owners. The big gray one (we found out his name is Buddy later), the big stripey orange one, and the crazy orange one (whom Matt almost named Bizby). Of course whenever those cats were not around, Lucifer would eat their food.

When we moved into our newest apartment (building C), we knew Lucifer would have a difficult transition. He's not good with change. He was happy to get out of Boone, but unhappy when we brought Azurel home to live with us. He gradually got over himself enough to tolerate her presence. He was just beginning to sleep with us on a regular basis again at night when we decided to move. The new place is the biggest home Lucifer has ever had and I think he has a hard time with it spatially. There is a kitchen and living room; the master bedroom, bathroom, and closet; two offices each with their own closets; another bathroom; and a laundry closet. It's a bit too much and Lucifer just can't seem to mark it has his own. If I had a little bottle of Lucifer pheromones, I'd do it for him in a heartbeat.

The first week we moved, Lucifer never could find his way home. He always went back to the old place, only a few buildings away. He figured it out and was good at coming home for about a week. But after an especially scary weekend of him not coming home, Matt checked the old place and there he was. The poor guy found a familiar place and didn't want to leave! Another several weeks went by of him being a good boy but this weekend he didn't show up again. I checked the old apartment this morning and there he was, sitting under our next door neighbor's car. When I drove up, he recognized my car and came out, but when I tried to approach him, he would run away and hide from me! I eventually coaxed him out and got him into my car and took him home. Once home, he was treated to a big bowl of 'stinky food' and got lots of loving from me. If I left the room he was in, he would wander around the house looking for me and meowing. Several times I found him sitting in the dark on the toilet meowing. It was the sweetest saddest thing. I let him outside when I came to work this afternoon. I just hope he will find his way home again tonight!

This post turned into something I didn't want it to be. I will write the one I meant to write later. I'm just sad about Lucifer right now. He's not stupid. He's just curious. And sad. Actually, he's kind of emo. I think he's in his 13 year old emo boy stage. I hope he grows out of it soon. He probably sat in that old parking lot this weekend ruminating about how we've abandoned him or something. And then he saw me drive up and was like "Oh she's here to save me!" But when I came up to him he was like "I don't want to be saved. I don't need to be saved... Boo hoo, talk to my butt, Alisa."

I'll leave you with the last verse of a poem from T.S. Eliot's Old Possom's Book of Practical Cats:

The Rum Tum Tugger is a terrible bore:
When you let him in, then he wants to be out;
He's always on the wrong side of every door,
And as soon as he's at home, then he'd like to get about.
He likes to lie in the bureau drawer,
But he makes such a fuss if he can't get out.
Yes the Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat -
And there isn't any call for you to doubt it:
For he will do
As he do do
And there's no doing anything about it!

2 comments:

Shinseiko said...

awww I lub Lucifer. :)

Allison said...

Sounds Awfully familiar *CoughMEATWADCough*. Cats are just funny like that. He'll grow out of it.