Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Reflections on 2008

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Knit a sweater. Worked in a public library. Drove a *real* motorcycle. Visited the Outer Banks. Flew an airplane.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My second cousin Cori and her husband Eric brought Maple into this world. My friends Alan and Amy brought Charlie into the world.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandfather.

5. Where did you travel?
Florida, Upstate New York (the Adirondacks), the Outer Banks.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Bling.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 26, 2008 - My grandfather passed away.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Lots of resume building! I did some awesome projects for the Undergrad Library and made several web page templates for other branch libraries on campus.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Working at the public library.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got sick a few times, but not so bad as to be memorable. And I did know 2 people that had appendectomies, so I consider myself fortunate.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A scooter.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Matt. He stuck it out through my family's repeated harassment of his lack of action on the bling front.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled & depressed?
My own. I should have stopped my family when it got too far!!! And I opened my mouth a few times when I shouldn't have. Said some things I still regret. Being drunk wasn't an excuse.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, my car (gas, new brakes & rotors, etc...)

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The motorcycle safety class. And playing the piano again.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2008?
Probably Umbrella by Rihanna. I can't think of anything else right now.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. Happier or sadder? The same.
b. Thinner or fatter? The same, thank God.
c. Richer or poorer? Poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Sewing.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Slacking off.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve, Matt and I went to his parents' house. We made manicotti. Then we read Christmas stories around the kotatsu. Matt and I went home, filled the stockings, went to bed, then woke up to see that Santa came again. This time, he brought us a nice mini-bottle of (real) Champaigne. We unstuffed our stockings, went to my parents' house and opened presents. Then we went back to Matt's parents' house and opened more presents.

21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
My mom.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
All over again. With the same guy.

23. How many one-night stands?
None.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Dexter.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I think hate is a pretty strong word for it, but I guess I dislike different people this year than last year.

26. What was the best book you read?
The entire Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (all 6,000+ pages). Time travelling romance with sexy Highlanders. Oh those accents and those kilts.... And I loved all the historical details of life in 18th Century Scotland and North Carolina.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Piano music.

28. What did you want and get?
A digital piano.

29. What did you want and not get?
A Blackberry Pearl.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Ick, I don't know. I don't remember....

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24 this year. Some friends met Matt and I at Talulah's (Turkish restaurant on Franklin Street). It was delicious! Then we went back to my place and Matt made me a great strawberry, pineapple, mandarin cake.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Living in my own house instead of renting.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Financially struggling 20-something-year-old.

34. What kept you sane?
Matt.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I think my heart was stolen by Jamie Fraser (from Outlander) instead of any celebrities...

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I would have to say that the issue of choice when it comes to politics is what got to me this year. See this post.

37. Who did you miss?
Bronwyn

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Breece

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Just walk away.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Oh, I hate questions like this... sorry, but none come to mind.

No comments: