Saturday, January 24, 2009

Carrboroing

Soooo after living in Carrboro for over a year and a half, I have finally explored the town beyond the bounds of Weaver and Main Streets. Matt and I haven't visited the Farmer's Market enough and so this morning we decided to get our lazy asses out of bed and out on the town. Although it's a pretty dreary morning, the Farmer's Market had all the good staples. It was admittedly thin, but that's compared to the FM in the summer. I don't think I've ever been in January. We picked up some Diaryland Farmers Cheese (YUM), some mixed greens, 2 sweet potatoes, and 2 butternut squashes. We're currently good on eggs, but holy cow, the next time we need some, I'm going back to the FM to get them! One place had some with green-ish looking shells... I'm curious enough to buy them.

After blazing through the FM, we still had tons of time to burn, so we followed signs over to the crepe truck at Johnny's. It was delicious! I had "la bonne maman" - a crepe with apple butter, granny smiths, brie, and mixed greens. Mmmmmmmmm... It was expensive though ($7). We got coffee at Johnny's and drooled over the delicious Guglhopf pastries (have to get those next time). While eating, we eavesdropped on some journalism student interviewing Johnny about his business. He started Tar Heel Takeout - interesting!

Next, we wandered through the building to the Tienda and got the rest of our grocery shopping done. We got 2 Jumex Mango nectar boxes, 2 cans of some Jumex mystery flavors (at least to us), 4 bananas, 4 tomatoes, a good sized yucca, and a red onion for $7.99. I'm very pleased with that price. Even at Food Lion, that would have cost $15. I think I'll be visiting a Tienda again for groceries! Now just to brush up on my *very* limited Spanish....

No comments: