Thursday, September 13, 2007

Way too much coffee

Last night, I set my alarm for 6:45am. I had to be at the bus stop this morning at 7:30, so I knew I was pushing it, but I really didn't want to get up any earlier than that. The problem was that I forgot to actually turn the alarm ON.

This morning, I awoke at 6:55am to Azurel mewing (she still mews sometimes, even though she has developed quite a nice adult meow). I told her last night that it was okay to wake me up early this morning and I'm really glad she listened to me because if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have gotten to work on time.

I made a full 4 cup pot of coffee and drowned half of it by the time I was out the door for the bus. The other half traveled with me this morning and I drank it before any patrons came into the library (so I wouldn't have to be hypocritical by telling them "NO DRINKS IN THE LIBRARY!" But I do wonder if it smells like coffee in here now). I also remembered to grab my camera so I could get a REAL Project 365 picture. By that, I mean something I don't do last minute just because I have to have a picture for the day.

By the way, Wednesdays suck for pictures (as do Mondays really). I don't have enough arms to carry all my stuff to campus as it is, nevermind a camera. 8:30am is way too early to take a picture about my day, and by the time I get home at 9:00pm (or later) I'm exhausted and just want to take a shower. Pictures are either half-assed or forgotten (only once really). So mostly, they're half-assed.

Back to my morning... (You can see what this 4 cups of coffee has done to me now with my ranting. My mind won't stay on one track!!!!). Usually the bus in the morning is a nice bubbling place with over 50 people stuffed into it like sardines. I love it. Nobody talks to strangers. I like to snag a seat by a window and watch as the bus slowly fills up. I like to feel anonymous and watch other people enjoy feeling anonymous. So this morning, I grab a seat a little further back than usual and sip my coffee between the bumps and shakes of the bus. A few stops later, a girl sits down next to me and starts talking. At first, I thought I was hearing things. Like I said, NOBODY talks to strangers. "Ugh, no time to put on makeup this morning! How are you?" I smile, "Fine. I'm a bit tired this morning." We get to talking. She asks me if I'm a grad student (I feel old!). She's a sophomore. We talk about the usual stuff: where we're from, what we're studying, blah blah blah. Then she stands to leave, "Have a nice day!"

I think I will have a nice day. I got to work about 10 minutes early and let myself into the library. I sat in the dark for a little while and finished my coffee. Then I snuck around and took some photographs of my beautiful little library. 30 minutes into my first opening shift and finally some patrons arrive... I must go be a librarian now!

2 comments:

Katie Bonk said...

you are a little wound up! Hope you're able to take lots of bathroom breaks! ;) I'm glad your day started off so well. :)

Allison said...

awe, how nice that someone was cool to you on the bus. I know it's nice to be anonymous and not talk to strangers, but sometimes it's nice when you have a good stranger convo that makes you feel warm inside.